"The Bundaberg district was explored by Europeans searching for timber in the 1850s and 1860s, and developed from the 1870s onwards as one of Australia's major sugar-producing areas. The Bunda Aborigines gave the city the first part of its name, while the second part "Berg" (German for 'mountain') points to the preponderance of early German settlers.
The first Anglican Church in Bundaberg was built in Quay Street in 1876. The building was moved to Woongarra Street, near the present site, in 1899. The present brick church, in English gothic style with prominent bell tower and spire, was built in 1926 and dedicated in February 1927.1 Plans for the building had been drawn up in the 1890s by the architect, J. H. Buckeridge (1857-1934), a pupil of J. L. Pearson, who was the Diocesan Architect of the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane between 1887 and 1902.2
The organ was built by M.P. Möller of Hagerstown, Maryland, U.S.A. It is one of only three instruments in Australia to have been built by this firm. It was installed in the old church in November 1902, and dedicated in memory of The Rev'd William Morris, the first Rector of the parish from 1878,3 who had died in 1900.4 The organ builder's opus number (No 387) is located inside the casework.
The organ was removed in 1927 by Whitehouse Bros of Brisbane from the old church and re-erected in its present position in a loft to the north side of the chancel, with new front speaking pipes.6 The old front pipes by Möller were re-used as non-speaking showpipes in the north aisle.
In 1963, a secondary electric-action swell division, comprising 4 ranks extended and an independent Mixture, was added in a separate box by the Charles Dirksen Organ Co. of Brisbane. This incorporated the original Swell Violin Diapason 8, which was used as the basis for the Gamba rank in the new division, leaving a spare slide on the original Swell chest.
The life of this special piece of Bundaberg history was almost lost. Pulled apart and removed as the cost to restore it was so great. Through a committed board the church has raised the $100,000 needed to restore this part of Bundaberg history. It is with great pleasure that Searle’s RV Centre is a part of this restoration project.
We have all help breath life back into this organ and allowed it’s beauty to remain at the sole of Bundaberg’s history.
“Remember To Live”
Anglican Church - Bundaberg